Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Beautiful Week

Dear Family,
How is everyone doing? I am doing great here in Scotland. The weather here has been phenomenal. It was barely rained the last couple of weeks and from the reports I get from people, it will stay that way for the rest of the week. Unfortunately I also hear that there will be a short autumn this year and a bitter cold winter. I'll just take it as is comes though. In regards to a suit and coat. My suits are fine and I'll hold off on that a little while. I might get some white shirts soon though fit with my black suit since those sleeves aren't as long as some of my white shirts. I found an old coat in the Prestwick flat that i think I'll use. I'll let you know how it goes.

Siobhan's baptism went well. It was a small service, but a spiritual one. So funny story time, we went early to fill up the font and were waiting forever for the hot water to turn on, but it didn't so we just turned on the water and went into the kitchen to start boiling some water. Needless to say the water was cold, but with my experience in the Polar Bear Club, I was able to handle it. Gratefully I only had to perform the baptism once. Siobhan is doing great and is handling becoming a new member. She was confirmed on Sunday. It is so wonderful when someone covenants with God. It's so great when there truly is someone willing to hear the Gospel. That's probably the biggest news. I apologized that I don't have a picture to send you, I forgot to bring my camera to the library today, but eventually you'll see it.

On Thursday afternoon we learned that we needed to be in Edinburgh the next day for a conference for all of the missionaries that came out with me. We learned a lot on how to improve our areas. Another great experience we had was with Patrick. On Wednesday we gave him a Restoration Pamphlet to give out to a friend. We followed up on it on Friday and he said he hadn't had the time yet to give it to who he was intending. We then asked him to bring to a lesson next week and he agreed. On Saturdays we normally have lunch with him and read from Jesus The Christ, but instead he brought his friend around that he grew up with. We talked about how the Gospel has changed Patrick around and he was looking for a fresh start as well. So we taught him the restoration and he is really willing to come to church and activities and read from the Book of Mormon. It's so great when members contribute to the work. We continue to work with Robert. We went golfing with him yesterday. I learned how to really hit the ball, so I'm better now, but still not very good. Right now we're really trying to help him develop faith in Jesus Christ. That would help him greatly.

It's good to hear that everyone is doing well. I hope Michelle enjoys going back to school to earn her degrees (B.S. and M.R.S.). I pray that the Lord will continue to bless you in your last year or undergrad. Matt seems to be doing alright. I received a pouch full of letters from the Relief Society in his ward. They were really kind to send me those notes of encouragement. We are teaching a bit. This week will be better now that we have a better sense of the area. By the way, Sister Gilardi vaguely remember Brother Blanchard. Maybe if i showed her a picture, she'll remember more. I would appreciate a letter from him and even will visit people if he asks me to.

Yesterday on preparation day we went to Irvine and played some football and ultimate. The missionaries are very surprised at how well I play frisbee. Someone even told Elder Baumann that I was a "Frisbee God." I don't know about that. I just do my best. It's so great to play a game that I actually know how to play. Here people usually just play soccer all the time. yesterday for family home evening, we played rounders which is some form of European style baseball. It was so funny to watch them discuss the rules. Americans and Europeans are so different. It's fascinating and funny sometimes. Well I hope that everything is going well and I know that the Lord will bless us all if we allow him to. Continue to pray and feast upon the words of Christ. I love you all.

Love,
Elder Buxton

No comments:

Post a Comment